Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Starfish and Poetry



Zoe started off with some Life of Fred Algebra.
Then she wrote three poems with instructions from the back of the MCTLA poetry book.
Then she read a chapter on the history of New Netherlands aka New York and New Jersey.
She loved dissecting a star fish for science. She was not squeamish at all.
She did her Professor Carol music history homework.
For lunch she watched a British television show called Primeval. It is from the people who did Walking With Dinosaurs. It is fictional but has dinosaurs in it.
Then for Mommy Time she wanted to take turns reading from Midsummer Night's Dream.
Then she read 4 chapters from Uncle Tom's Cabin and did a little narration on it afterwards.
Lastly she spent an hour working on her piano piece for the Stickley competition.
After homeschooling she had her Pet Shop dolls perform Shakespeare's MSND.
and she helped her father make a google site for his music and created a google presentation... for me.

If you are squeamish about dissections don't look below
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*









.

4 comments:

  1. That is an amazing day and week for Z!

    My daughter puts on shows with her Pet Shops too. They are great little toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cher Mere,

    I'd like to introduce myself. I've read through Gray's Academy obsessively, and I'm glad you still have a blog!

    I'm a mom of a not-yet-two-year-old, and I'm starting to suspect she's somewhere way up on the gifted spectrum. I was riveted by the first picture I saw of Z -- there was a look in her eyes that reminds me of my daughter.

    I'm wondering when it's possible to start identifying giftedness. Is it all just reading tea-leaves at this age? My daughter H was born really alert, and was described by the nurses as very "behaviorally mature." From her earliest months, strangers have stopped me to say, "Wow, she's so alert!" Now at 21 months she is talking in 4-word sentences, and starting to use grammatical markers like -ed, -ing, and -s. She comments about emotions (happy, scared), and ends her temper tantrums by saying "H okay." A challenge, like putting something together or taking it apart, can keep her occupied for a long time. She is intense, determined, and highly focused, and the old distraction trick that's supposed to work on toddlers doesn't work on her. She is counting up to six by rote, and up to two meaningfully.

    I'm just doing a brain dump here. I have all these thoughts and observations about her, and no way of knowing what it all means. But reading about Z brought this shock of recognition, and I kept thinking, that could be H in a few years.

    Anyway, thanks for listening, and I'd love to hear your thoughts about early giftedness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Meg

    Thank you for writing.

    I think I had some idea that Zoe was gifted around that age. I had to throw out that "What to Expect The First Year" book. *grin*

    It sounds like parenting H is very exciting.

    Things will keep moving fast.Even gifted toddlers can be extra hard to keep up with. But it is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [Tried to post this earlier but it didn't take . . .]

    Thanks, Cher Mere. I guess I just need to chill out and hang on for the ride.

    And thanks again for your great blog. It's been much more interesting and informative than all the abstract descriptions of giftedness.

    ReplyDelete