Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities

Are you afflicted with or affected by Overexcitabilites?

from the article Overexcitabilities in Gifted Children - by Leslie Sword

Overexcitability is a sensitivity of the nervous system, an expanded awareness of and a heightened capacity to respond to stimuli such as noise, light, smell, touch etc.

The term ‘overexcitability’ conveys the idea that this stimulation of the nervous system is well beyond the usual or average in intensity and duration.

Michael Piechowski, who worked with Dabrowski, explains the overexcitabilities as an abundance of physical, sensual, creative, intellectual and emotional energy that can result in creative endeavours as well as advanced emotional and ethical development in adulthood. He says that the overexcitabilities feed, enrich, empower and amplify talent.

Overexcitabilities are assumed to be innate: a genetic predisposition of the nervous system to respond more and more intensely to life's stimuli. This causes those with strong overexcitabilities to have more intense than usual experiences of life.

Overexcitabilities appear in five forms:

Psychomotor - surplus of energy: rapid speech, pressure for action, restlessness impulsive actions, nervous habits & tics, competitiveness, sleeplessness.

Sensual – sensory and aesthetic pleasure: heightened sensory awareness eg sights, smells, tastes, textures, sounds, appreciation of beautiful objects, music, nature, sensitivity to foods and pollutants, intense dislike of certain clothing, craving for pleasure.

Intellectual – learning, problem solving: curiosity, concentration, theoretical & analytical thinking, questioning, introspection, love of learning and problem solving, moral concern, thinking about personal and social moral values.

Imaginational – vivid imagination: creative & inventive, a rich and active fantasy life, superb visual memory, elaborate dreams, day dreams, love of poetry, music and drama, fears of the unknown, mixing of truth and fantasy, great sense of humour.

Emotional – intensity of feeling: complex emotions, extremes of emotion, empathy with others, sensitivity in relationships, strong memory for feelings, difficulty adjusting to change, fears and anxieties, inhibition, timidity, shyness, self-judgment, feelings of inadequacy and inferiority, heightened awareness of injustice and hypocrisy. 

Here are some more examples from the article Overexcitability and the gifted by Sharon Lind

Overexcitabilities are inborn intensities indicating a heightened ability to respond to stimuli. Found to a greater degree in creative and gifted individuals, overexcitabilities are expressed in increased sensitivity, awareness, and intensity, and represent a real difference in the fabric of life and quality of experience.

When feeling emotionally tense, individuals strong in Psychomotor OE may talk compulsively, act impulsively, misbehave and act out, display nervous habits, show intense drive (tending towards "workaholism"), compulsively organize, or become quite competitive.

They derive great joy from their boundless physical and verbal enthusiasm and activity, but others may find them overwhelming. At home and at school, these children seem never to be still.

Those with Sensual OE have a far more expansive experience from their sensual input than the average person. They have an increased and early appreciation of aesthetic pleasures such as music, language, and art, and derive endless delight from tastes, smells, textures, sounds, and sights.

But because of this increased sensitivity, they may also feel over stimulated or uncomfortable with sensory input. When emotionally tense, some individuals high in Sensual OE may overeat, go on buying sprees, or seek the physical sensation of being the center of attraction

Others may withdraw from stimulation. Sensually overexcitable children may find clothing tags, classroom noise, or smells from the cafeteria so distracting that schoolwork becomes secondary. These children may also become so absorbed in their love of a particular piece of art or music that the outside world ceases to exist.

Those high in Intellectual OE have incredibly active minds. They are intensely curious, often avid readers, and usually keen observers. They are able to concentrate, engage in prolonged intellectual effort, and are tenacious in problem solving when they choose.

Other characteristics may include relishing elaborate planning and having remarkably detailed visual recall. People with Intellectual OE frequently love theory, thinking about thinking, and moral thinking. This focus on moral thinking often translates into strong concerns about moral and ethical issues-fairness on the playground, lack of respect for children, or being concerned about "adult" issues such as the homeless, AIDS, or war.

Intellectually overexcitable people are also quite independent of thought and sometimes appear critical of and impatient with others who cannot sustain their intellectual pace. Or they may be become so excited about an idea that they interrupt at inappropriate times.

Imaginational OE reflects a heightened play of the imagination with rich association of images and impressions, frequent use of image and metaphor, facility for invention and fantasy, detailed visualization, and elaborate dreams.

Often children high in Imaginational OE mix truth with fiction, or create their own private worlds with imaginary companions and dramatizations to escape boredom. They find it difficult to stay tuned into a classroom where creativity and imagination are secondary to learning rigid academic curriculum.

Emotional OE is often the first to be noticed by parents. It is reflected in heightened, intense feelings, extremes of complex emotions, identification with others' feelings, and strong affective expression.

Other manifestations include physical responses like stomachaches and blushing or concern with death and depression (Piechowski, 1979). Emotionally overexcitable people have a remarkable capacity for deep relationships; they show strong emotional attachments to people, places, and things. They have compassion, empathy, and sensitivity in relation-ships.

Those with strong Emotional OE are acutely aware of their own feelings, of how they are growing and changing, and often carry on inner dialogs and practice self-judgment.

Children high in Emotional OE‚ are often accused of "overreacting." Their compassion and concern for others, their focus on relationships, and the intensity of their feelings may interfere with everyday tasks like homework or doing the dishes.

****************
So, do you recognize any (or all) of these Overexcitabilities in yourself or your children?

I remember seven years ago when I first read about Dabrowski's Theories on Overexcitabilities, it was a huge event in my life. It was validating to read that these behaviors and feelings I had had my whole life were "normal" for a small subset of people. That knowledge helped me take steps down the path of self-acceptance. I felt that I was weird and wrong for feeling things, everything, so much more than other people seemed to.

Next time I will post about Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration and how having Overexcitabilities is a Good Thing. He theorized that people who are overexcitable can more readily progress through higher stages of personal development.

9 comments:

  1. Wow...we are dealing with so much of that here. This has been an especially hard year for me...I will need to do much more reading.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....the Emotional piece sounds just like my Alex. She gets very upset with herself over such little things despite how much I try to encourage and let things go. The other day I heard her calling herself names and thought....I might have a bigger issue here. Thanks for sharing the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have the most interesting and pertinent articles and information. I will have to do some more reading. This fits right in with the state of the inhabitants around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW: love the new color and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to go over these with Ami.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you know we experience those here! I am glad you are posting them, as now that V. is getting older certain "quirks" seem less childlike and cute to people, and more overbearing and weird. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Grace experiences them all, but really goes nuts in the "Imaginational and Psychomotorl" OE's.She is constantly "inventing" stuff, and ALWAYS engaged in some kind of imaginative activity. Believe it or not, she's not as intellectual! lol I mean, she HYPER focuses on academic things she's really interested in, and CAN be intellectually OE, but it isn't her main OE. She does have a bit of the sensual as well,including tags and textures of clothing materials , and over-stimulation, but it takes a while in a crowd, then she freaks out.
    I know that *I* get over-stimulated. I also talk at a rapid pace and am "overly-large" in my communications. I share grace's love of imagination. Grace's father is Intellectual OE. He is also Imaginational, and Highly sensual. I think she just got a mixed bag of both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, this is such a relief. I feel like I just got a diagnosis for something everyone brushed off over the years. I always KNEW I was different and more than just different, there ha to be a reason. thanks to my insatiable curiosity and ability to learn new things quickly I keep on until I found this and other sights on overexcitability. I must say I never bothered to learn typing, too boring!
    Thank you so much for this site. I will be posting this on my facebook page so my lifelong friends can all sigh and say so that's what it is.
    I can hear the whistle that old traffic signals made and everyone around me thought I was making it up because they couldn't hear it. I see colors so vivid and can tell the slightest difference in shades or tints, others think I'm exaggerating. What a relief.
    BTW, I'm working on my PhD because someone had to study what I wanted to know so I'm making my own study. Now I know that it's just who I am.

    A caution to others though, my emotional and imaginative overexcitability has caused 2 heart attacks (at 47 and 48)--even the doctors admitted they were both stress caused, not from cholesterol or the usual. There is a downside, but now I can research and learn more about this and treat myself accordingly.
    Thank you again for this site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping to find others who have had experience in helping these kids "fit" into school. My daughter gets extremely overstimulated and cannot focus for the time needed. Her main OEs are sensual and psychomotor. She finished K and it was miserable for all of us!!! Behaviorally the school wants more out of her, but I do not think the same standard should apply when she cannot control the sensory overload!

    ReplyDelete