Wednesday, June 10, 2009

writing projects

Zoe is working on several cute writing projects.

She is continuing to work on a story about shape-shifting sisters trapped in a "behind the looking glass" kind of world. She is on chapter 19 of that book. (Each chapter is only a page or two.)

She started her sixth time reading the entire Harry Potter series (she has read the first three books nine or ten times each.) This time she is reading and researching for another writing project. She wants to rewrite the series from Ron's point of view. Here is an excerpt:

Mrs. Weasley turned the radio up, for a song by the Weird Sisters, a favorite wizarding band, had come on. It was a slow, wavering tune. She hummed along softly as the meat in front of her slowly diced itself to the rhythm.

"Mum, can we turn this off? I can't concentrate." Complained Ron Weasley.

"Oh, shush. This is a good song." The meat floated into the bubbling stew.

What does it take? He thought angrily..

"Reparo!" He tried to mend a chipped glass up in the cupboard. A crack appeared down the center of it and it shattered.

"Reparo." Fred, who was sitting right next to him, said. The pieces picked themselves up from the self and reformed itself back into a perfect wine glass.

"Git." Ron muttered under his breath.

"Thank you Freddie dear. Ron, you should be more careful." Mrs. Weasley slowly poured the stew into five separate bowls.


This morning she started a faux non-fiction book, The Survival Handbook for Supernatural Creatures. It is not a book for surviving attacks by supernatural creatures but written for "Vampires, Werewolves and Everyone Magical." It is tips for them to survive attacks by humans, angry mobs and vampire hunters. I LOVE this idea. She just came up with it while I was making breakfast.

*************

I am still working on that post about Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration. I haven't had any large blocks of time to get my thoughts written down recently. But I'll post it soon. Yesterday I was trying to explain it to some of my friends and one joked that I should write a dissertation about it.

I am back into working on my novel. There is SO MUCH to do. I try to get a little done every day. I like it better when I can get a lot done, but I haven't been good about carving out the time in the afternoon. I try to say that 3:00 - 5:30 is my time to write. But Monday we are not home from piano until 4:00. Yesterday I had friends visit until 5:00 and Friday I am invited to hang out with friends in the afternoon and Zoe gets to play with her little friends. Hmmm... not that I am complaining about having a social life or opportunities for Zoe to get together with her friends, but I do need to make my writing time a priority.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are carving out a wonderful life for you both. P likes to make up stories, but she doesn't like to get them down on paper.
    I asked her to try harder, and she said "isn't it enough that it's all in my head?I only tell you to make room for other stories.."
    I guess I will back off.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story! Bug is writing a book for children about a fairy named Ellie who turns human. She won't show it to me yet. :(
    btw, I referred a friend to your blog and she wanted me to thank you profusely for all the help its giving her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really neat that you are both writing. She's doing great!

    ReplyDelete