Sunday, June 21, 2009

Androgyny

I was reminded in some recently readings that gifted people usually have more androgynous traits than the average person.

I heard Sandra Bem's Sex Role Inventory test and found it online. Here is a link to a pdf of the test, it tells you how to tally it all up and what your score means.

Here is how Wikipedia describes the test:

The Bem Sex Role Inventory is one of the most widely used gender measures and was constructed by the early leading proponent of androgyny, Sandra Bem (1977).[2] Based on their responses to the items in the Bem Sex-Role Inventory, individuals are classified as having one of four gender-role orientations: masculine, feminine, androgynous, or undifferentiated.

The androgynous individual is simply a female or male who has a high degree of both feminine (expressive) and masculine (instrumental) traits. A feminine individual is high on feminine (expressive) traits and low on masculine (instrumental) traits. A masculine female is high on instrumental traits and low on expressive traits. An undifferentiated person is low on both feminine and masculine traits.[2]


You can score Feminine, Nearly Feminine, Androgynous, Nearly Masculine, and Masculine.

I scored Masculine, which is no surprise to me. I scored highly on both masculine and feminine and neutral, but overall more traits that are considered masculine apply to me.

Pere scored Masculine, overall more masculine than me as he scored very low on feminine/expressive traits.

Zoe scored Androgynous, which pleases me. People who are more androgynous are more flexible and supposedly, mentally healthy. :)

It is all very interesting to me. I've have a problem with rigid gender roles, especially since I fall outside of them. I bristle at being confined to a traditional female role. I think that being a gifted female and an INTJ makes it even more difficult for people to relate to me and vice versus. Throw in my over-excitabilities and I am just a bundle of contradictions.

9 comments:

  1. I have to find time to read through all of this stuff. I don't think of you as masculine, but I have different ideas of what is feminine
    than a lot of people.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - try the test! It was interesting to me.

    I think Bem considers androgyny to be the optimum and that all people have levels of masculine and feminine, just to different degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't kept up with my reading over the weekend, and so I was amused to read your post just after catching up with one of my favorite webcomics: Sinfest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great way to start my morning! I scored Androgynous, which fits I think. :) I can't wait to have the kids all take it, that should be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I scored +11 so "nearly masculine", but very near the border of androgynous.

    We missed you, especially DD for Z. We felt really bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miakoda - love the comic. Hah! I remember thinking something like that when I was about ten or eleven. "Androgyny! Boo!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gwenivere - I'm glad you liked it. I have a theory that women will be more comfortable taking a test like that than men.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mariposa - That is so interesting! I wouldn't have pegged you as "nearly masculine." Which mean you're one of those people that defy pegging. ;)

    It was so NOT COOL to miss the Summit this year. Gosh... it is such an important event in our life. We look forward to it every year with eager anticipation. It is such a rush. I always feel better afterwards and inspired by the speakers, etc. *sigh*

    Well, I can't feel too sorry for myself. I have to make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jumping on late here...
    Grace=Androgynous This is SO not a surprise;)
    I need to take the test.

    We missed you too.

    ReplyDelete