Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hurried

I have been feeling very hurried recently. I know it is all in my mind. I need an attitude adjustment.

Zoe does have a lot of classes now that have homework that we need to keep up with. We added three online classes to her schedule this semester. But I can still try to adopt an unhurried mindset.

It really isn't necessary that she continues moving forward at a certain rate. There are even some good reason for her to move up in grades at a slower rate... like the idea I have that I don't want her to go away to college at 14.

So why do I make myself feel so hurried?? Is this an INTJ thing? I make a schedule and then I blindly move forward with great efficiency?

I feel hurried in my writing too. I set a very doable goal yet I have been feeling like I must hurry hurry hurry through all my research. The feeling is not that enjoyable.

I know I have a kind of THING about being efficient. I automatically run through the most efficient way to do anything. I guess there is a fine line between efficient and feeling hurried.

So the new habit that I am going to try to learn, ala Charlotte Mason, is to Slow Down. I want to develop the attitude of enjoying the present moment rather than trying to move through it in the most efficient way.

5 comments:

  1. It's very easy to feel anxious as you work towards goals you've set for yourself and schedules for Zoe. Don't let yourself get burned out....we've all been there. Hey, it's the weekend, perhaps time for a little fun outing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good plan. If you end up not enjoying your research and writing, the whole project becomes work instead of something you love to do. We've got enough of that in our lives already, right? Same for Zoe's schooling -- aside from not wanting her to go off to school at 14, she currently loves learning. I know you try to be careful not to overwhelm her, but there's something to be said for giving her time to absorb and apply what she's already learned, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Aly. I am looking forward to the weekend and I have already made some changes to feel less hurried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miakoda - Right! I want to enjoy writing, because I do. It is no good to feel too pressured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are feeling better about your schedule.

    I've given the college idea a lot of thought. I want my dd to benefit from the social life of college, so that means she will have to be older. But 14 is the lowest age I have in mind, but even then realistically unless she goes to a special program, or does math, or computer science, I have a hard time imagining how it will work being a young, attractive female.

    We might have to do something about math earlier, but my husband's degree is in chemistry so it should be able to handle it for awhile.

    The arrangement you have for Z with the professor can be done with other subjects. The mentors/professors that we arranged allows dd to work on somethings that even first or second year college students don't study, or perhaps something she would never choose to study when she is older.

    This is the first year dd is doing a class with assignments and due dates. And our first year trying to follow a loose schedule/ routine for more calmness. As an observer it always looks to me that Z does well with a full load.

    ReplyDelete