Tuesday, April 7, 2009

That's news to me

So I went to therapy today and my therapist said that if I am trying to "heal" and "recover" that I don't have to continue hanging out with the people who damaged me in the first place.

Wow! That is news to me. I mean, isn't that what we call family?

I am allowed to stop thinking about them, stop listening to them, stop trying to win their approval, stop trying to fix them, stop taking responsibility for them and stop being a target for their abuse.

"Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter."

My new therapist is really good. He says stuff in this calm authoritative voice and I'm like "Yeah!! Right?! Could you write that down because it sounds so reasonable when you say it."

*grin*

Today Zoe and I read about the destruction of Tenochtitlan by Cortes. I wish I could have seen that city. It sounded so impressive and beautiful. This was from our History of US book.

Zoe also described plant cell and animals cells as if they were parks - the nucleus is the playground, the cytoplasm is the lawn, the chloroplast (in the plants) were benches around the cytoplasm path, etc.

She also said "You're such a nice mom! You made reading one of our subjects! So I get to read... for free!"

*snort* Kids... they think such cute things.

Otherwise I am kind of tired today. I want to go outside for a walk but it is cold and snowy again. I am learning that if I try to "man up" and go out anyway I end up coming back after one block with a numb face and an ear ache.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah! for your new therapist..Boo!
    cold weather...it got chilly here again
    as well, and I am sick of it!
    You are such a cool Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a super cool mom!
    Your new therapist sounds great. I'm so glad your getting advice that make sense to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, I have another friend who needs that permission slip from your therapist, just to hang it on her refrigerator as a reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miakoda - We need to print these permission slips out for lots of people. And maybe we can make some others, like permission slips for certain people to "go away."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gwenivere - I am not quite sure why I am a great mom but I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete