Thursday, July 23, 2009

Azur and Asmar



Notre Dame is hosting a children's World film festival this week, all the films but one are foreign. Today Zoe and I attended the beautiful Azur et Asmar by French filmaker Michel Oscelot. We really enjoyed it! Zoe gave it five stars. :)

We saw a three homeschooling families from our group there and some neighborhood kids and some kids from Zoe's choir. It is neat sometimes it live in a small town and see people we know while we are out and about.

*******************


Today I was trying to research the idea that women seek out their role and self-esteem in a horizontal web of relationships and men in a vertical power structure.

The reason I am interested is because I don't think I derive my self-esteem from either of those ways. My way is about reaching goals that I have set for myself, sticking to my values, especially when challenged or tempted not to, and continuing to learn interesting and important things. I have a few people that I trust to listen to me and give me feedback. But otherwise it is a very individualistic process.

Connecting with people is a side benefit, but not where develop my identity and I am very aware of where I am in any hierarchal structure. I am the one off to the side doodling, making jokes in my head and solving the problem my own way. ;)

Here is how the Myers Brigg Personality Indicator describes it:

INTJs are the most self-confident of all types, having "self-power" awareness.
"the most independent of all types."
"The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand."
"Often they have very evolved intuitions, and are convinced that they are right about things."
"Strong insights and intuitions, which they trust implicitly"
"Value their own opinions over others"
"Reserved and detached from others"
"INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type. INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake."

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to see that movie! I think I blogged about it when it came here. I thought it was FAN-tastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have not seen this yet, but it sounds really interesting. It sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete