Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Busy Week and Scheduling

We have a busy but fun plans this week.

Last night was the birthday party of our neighbor. There was cake and wine and trampolining for the kids.

Today we have a playdate and a final visit from my niece and her son.

Tomorrow is pizza and board games with friends in the evening.

Thursday is our last roleplaying game session in May.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday we will be getting ready for our trip.

In between all the fun I am trying to figure out Zoe's curriculum for the Fall and participating in an online seminar for gifted kids.

As for the former... I will be using Singapore and Life of Fred for Math, definitely Michael Clay Thompson and probably Lightning Literature for Language Arts.

I'm having some issues with History and Science that I haven't found the answers for yet.

We are using A History of US for history, the 11 volume set and the teaching guide. I've seen that some do 3 or so chapters a day, and there are about 42 chapters per book, so 14 lessons per book x 11 books.

We can't do that many chapters a day and still do the activities in the teacher's guide. And Zoe really gets a lot out of the questions and cross-disciplinary activities.

The way we do it now is one chapter a day four days a week... so doing that math... it's going to take us a long long long time to finish these books.

Science... I like Singapore Science. I think Zoe needs harder books. But, I have this thing where I am afraid to skip ahead in case she misses some important concept. Now that I write that down it sounds really stupid... but that is how I feel. She will finish her new science books in 8 weeks. I was doing the science books that were at the same grade level as her math. But math is her (relatively) weakest subject and she is a stronger and more interested in science. So, obviously I need to make a change there.

But my biggest and most tummy ache inducing choice is whether to have her do more school work, the same amount of school work, or less school work.

As kids get older they tend to do more. She is at a level where there is more to do. Plus she has her extra curricular activities and both her music and Japanese teachers want her to do even more this year - competitions, tests, etc.

BUT , she is 8. Ahhhh... the trials of asynchrony!

Every year she gets older and I just want to drag her back in time. So my thoughts go "She can do so much, who am I to hold her back?" and then "She will only be young once. What is the point of moving forward so quickly." (as if I have any choice in the matter)

I feel like everyone will side with my second argument, except people in India and China, Richard Freeman and the guy who made 2 Million Minutes - or check it out on youtube.

I know you guys will laugh at me for thinking about this stuff. But I do. It is part of my uber-responsibility complex.

3 comments:

  1. I find it all very interesting just for the record. I enjoy the History of US books. Do you have any quibble with the history being correct like some do with The Story of the World. I'm thinking about starting to collect the History of US books so it is good to know you like them.

    Where did you start in the Singapore Science? Are you finished with your earliest books? I'm wondering if I could borrow the books for perusal before I buy them.

    I don't know how you keep up with all you do and your social life. We have had three birthday parties this week and I am wiped out and the house is a mess. I'm behind on food prep, reading, blogging and life in general. And aren't you an introvert. Doesn't it tire you out to be so social? ;)

    Last thing, I saw this book this morning and thought of you. You probably already know about it but I thought Z would really like it.

    George's Secret Key to the Universe. But now I see it new in paperback and was originally published in 2007 so you probably do know it.

    I hope all is well with you. Where are you going on your trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy that it is going so well for both of you.

    The science history looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy that is going so well for you.

    The science series looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete