Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools

Okay, so I really don't like April Fools. Maybe I am too sensitive for pranks.

I don't even really like surprises, unless they are a total surprise and they end quickly and in cakes and ice cream.

Well once Zoe cottoned on to April Fools she made it clear that she expected pranks. She looks forward to it and talks about it and on April 1st I have to deliver.

Last year I told her that I wanted her to get more Omega-3 in her diet. I used to give her those little flavored tubes of Omega-3 paste to suck on before you could get eggs and bread and milk with Omega three. Anyway I told her it was important to me that she get more Omega-3 and then I gave her a HUGE glass of frothy milk with green food coloring and I told her it was Fish Guts and that the Omega-3 was was more pure and thus better for her and now she would have to drink one of these HUGE glasses of fish guts everyday.

Bless my soul! She made a face but she actually took a sip. Expecting the worse but tasting milk there were a few moments of uncertainty before we gave her the big reveal.

We all laughed. Good times we had by all.

Today... well...

I told her that I read a web article that said her reoccurring runny nose might be caused by an allergy to Red dye no.5. We realized that she doesn't eat or drink anything with red dye in it. I said maybe it is jut something she comes in a lot of contact with. We made our way up stairs. On the way I said that maybe we would have to get rid of the red things she has in her room. We stepped into her room. Then I said "And maybe all the pink stuff too. Cause all your pink toys and things are just made out of red dye and white dye"

I waited a short beat and then I grinned and she got immediately that she had been pranked.

But she started crying. Oh No! She was crying out of relief. She really thought for a split second that I was going to get rid of all her pink toys. Yikes! That is scary. I guess I don't make jokes like that enough for her not to take me serious. I felt like such a jerk! I really didn't want her to cry. She told me she was just crying because it was so funny. But that was just her trying to make me feel better. :( It totally didn't work.

Ack! I really don't like April Fools day.

8 comments:

  1. Me either...I tend to take things seriously,
    and practical jokes make me want to kick someone's butt.
    Odd, considering what a smart a*s I am.
    We did not do "April Fools Day" here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I guess she became acutely aware of the conflicting emotions these types of jokes can have on a person.

    We didn’t do it because I don’t like it either, though I enjoy a good play on words or a funny joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh! Poor thing! Annie really wanted a lot of tricks too, but I'm a little sensitive to the whole April Fool thing too...it's my birthday and I want more sincerity than being made fun of. I had enough of that as a kid. Thankfully she did most of the "tricking" and it was all very innocent. And repetitive. She's got a little polishing to do on her funny bone still!
    P-

    ReplyDelete
  4. No pranks here! I dislike April Fools as well. But I was a little surprised that my natural 13 year old prankster had nothing up his sleeve. Maybe he was a little too worried about retribution from all of the people he's played jokes on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate. I would like to put the ban on April Fools pranks but Zoe still wants to do them. I guess I have another year to figure out how to prank her without making her cry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mariposa - Poor little thing, huh? :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gwenivere - ah, is he a prankster then? I almost wish Pere was so then I wouldn't have to be the one to try to come up with pranks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Patrice!

    Zoe did a prank on me of "discovering" a weird substance on her water bottle that was was some vaseline. It was cute.

    ReplyDelete