Monday, April 20, 2009

Homeschooling Monday

Math - Ratios. Zoe grasped ratios very easily.

Language Arts - Four part diagramming of a sentence, Latin stems in Caesar's English, reading aloud and discussing four poems.

Japanese - Katakana

Music - more practice of voice and piano for upcoming recitals and talent show. (Zoe is pretty stressed about the song she is singing in the recital. It is very difficult and she is sometimes having a doom and gloom attitude about being able to perform it with a recording of the accompaniment. Last Monday she cried on the way home from her music class and then she told her father it was "a catastrophe!" *jeez* I am trying to be understanding, validating, as well as positive and motivating. I think she is going to do great. But I guess the real issue is how to help her feel more in control of her situation.)

Science - Making circuits with wire, light bulbs and batteries. Diagramming and labeling circuit parts and whole. Explaining the uses of the parts of a circuit.

History - The Spanish explorers head north into North American looking for gold. Reading, answering questions, filling in map, making a profile of Esteban.

Reading - Julie of the Wolves

*update*

Music Lesson - I thought it was a good lesson but Zoe had a bad attitude afterwards.

So I finally had enough with the defeated negative attitude about this song. For the past 3 weeks I have been walking the fine line between validating her feelings, soothing her fears and inspiring her to have confidence in herself.

Zoe has confidence in herself like 95% of time. But other other 5% does the whole 'I CANT do this! I CAN'T!" like a normal kid. She pouts and glares and is totally self-defeating. And that is all it is... she is defeating herself. Because there is nothing that Zoe hasn't been able to do. She did this for bike riding, for swimming, math at one point, playing baseball, learning kanji, piano at one point, etc.

What is it? What is she feeling? She seems to get overwhelmed. She gets totally wigged and can't think straight, loses all confidence, start catastrophizing, etc.

I have always tried to have homeschooling be challenging for Zoe. I think it kind of is. But she still usually gets everything right anyway. It is not like she is doing 5/6th grade work and getting C's. YKWIM?

But certain things "trigger" this feeling of being overwhelmed. And it is not always the same thing. Mostly all these things - math, piano, voice, learning new things are happy and exciting for Zoe. I haven't figured it why certain times trigger and others don't.

But today I told her that I am tired of the attitude. I told her that singing is supposed to be fun. This isn't fun. If she wants to perform then she is agreeing to certain amount of practice and to doing her best. If she can't do that without a big cranky 'tude then she can stop performing, AFTER this performance since she has already committed to this.

I told her I understand she is feeling kinda worried because the song is hard. I told her that I want to be understanding and loving and helpful but that I am not going to be all that and also her target for angry glares and complaining. This is her thing, not my thing. And if she wants to keep performing the attitude needs to stop.

I said some more things and then I turned up the radio and drove to Target. I could hear her crying in the back seat. I gave her time to think about it.

Once at Target we made up. She said that she wants to keep performing and I said I want to help and support her.

I know that one talk hasn't fixed everything. She will do this again. But I really do want to figure out how she can help herself through this because when she grows up I wont be there to walk her through her valley of fear. Any advice?

8 comments:

  1. I wish I could offer advice, but all I can do is commiserate. We go through the same thing here. A couple of weeks ago it was skating that pushed her over the edge and I said basically the same things you did. Skating isn't MY dream, it's HERS, and I'm more than willing to help her meet her goals if she can be appreciative. The next day I actually made a contract for her to sign, spelling out appropriate behavior, and explain how she can get out of the contract if she wants to quit or be less serious. Everything has improved since then, but it's only been 3 weeks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your courageous to write about it. It is somewhat of a relief to know we are not alone. We recently decided it’s beyond our expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime - I might try your contract idea.

    When she was doing this about learning to ride her bike I had her do some creative visualization writing about all the things she would be able to do once she could ride her bike. She got so excited she went out with a much better attitude starting really riding.

    The thing with this song is that we are planning to do it at the summer talent show and we will have to bring recorded accompaniment, which has no give if she makes a mistake. So... she is wigging out about something that is not going to happen for 2 months. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariposa

    Let me know if you get any good advice or good book recommendations.

    What I really want her to learn is self-soothing techniques. Because it scares me to think of her in college or as an adult unwilling to take on certain projects she is totally capable of because of perfectionist issues or self-defeating fear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace doesn't tend to cry about these things that "trigger", she tends to go into this maddening, sort of "snivelling" about how she can't do whatever it is. :( It , unfortunately, trips all of my annoyance buttons...
    I usually take a page from Lisa Rivero at that point and switch gears for the day ( or encourage her to) . I understand that you can't do that with some of the commitments these kids make. I need to step back sometimes and recognize that this kid has only just turned 8 y/o, and recall what it was that *I* was committed to at that age--then adjust accordingly. For me, it is about her learning follow-through and that is all. It is asynchrony at it's best, right?

    For instance, Grace was first to be off-book at her rehearsals, but tripped up a bit on thier first night semi-costumed, as it just "threw" her. I told her she'd be fine the next night, but she's so HARD on herself. I'll let y'all know what happens tonight, as she goes again.
    Grace being so upset also tends to happen after/during a string of being REALLY busy. I think she has a little tank onboard, that fills up with stress, and at the most inopportune minute, it blows a leak. ;)
    Good Luck, Cher!
    Forte

    ReplyDelete
  6. ((hugs)) I come here for advice, you (along with Mariposa,Forte and a couple of others)are my "go to gals" when things are not working.lol
    But I send ((great BIG hugs)) and hopes that you will find a way to make it work for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Temper tantrums, and the "I CANT'S" ... this is why it's good I'm not a mommy. I only have to deal with this stuff from co-workers. ;)

    The best learning advice I ever got from an educator just happened to come from a music teacher. Zoe probably already knows these, but it might bear repeating. YMMV, as always.

    Our madrigals group had five rules drilled into us:

    1. Open your mouth and sing! You can't fix your mistakes if you can't hear them. It's okay to make mistakes now, while she's in practice -- otherwise, she can't identify the things she's having trouble with.

    2. Listen to yourself. When you're singing, it's an immense help to be able to "hear" the notes and the patterns in your mind before you even open your mouth. And when you do open your mouth, really listen to how you interact with the accompaniment -- listen for the pitch cues, figure out where to dance around the note, go discordant, etc. This gives you marvelous clues as to where you're going next if you learn to identify the shifts in the music.

    2. If you're overwhelmed, break it into pieces. Tackle it stanza by stanza if you have to. This works for everything from music to language to learning a new computer application. (This was a godsend for learning German, too.)

    3. If the lyrics are giving you fits, work on mnemonics or other visualization/trigger patterns for the starts of phrases. (Yes, I'm looking at you and your bajillion verses, "Deck the Halls" ...)

    4. Practice. Practice at rehearsal, in the backyard, in the car, in the shower, under the blankets at night, wherever you feel like singing. Practice because you love to sing, not because you have to. If you have a recorded accompaniment, this makes things a lot easier. You can rewind to problematic sections and tackle the pieces as you need to.

    5. Have fun! (A.K.A.: Smile, d@mmit!) This might be a myth, but she insisted that smiling helped keep us from going flat. If I had a nickle for every time she growled at us to "SMILE OR ELSE" ... heh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Mariposa -- we also have reached a point where it's obvious we need some outside help to deal with some issues.

    My only advice, and I don't do this well, is to take excellent care of yourself. I have really compounded problems with V. by being tired and grumpy. If I am calm and collected, I can try to ignore, or make my point once without going on and on and protracting the argument. If not (which is most of the time), I help us keep going downhill.

    But I am hopeful about dealing with "intensities" that get in the way of doing things she enjoys, because she understands that it is happening, and she likes the idea of learning from an expert how her brain works and how to intervene.

    But I am exhausted and just need some support!

    ps -- As part of supporting myself I am reaching out to online friends again. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete