Friday, April 24, 2009

Recovery: It Works!

Wow...

So I have been going to therapy since September and I have dutifully done all the assigned "homework." I have educated myself on the problems of my family of origin (FOO) so that I can physically and mentally extricate myself from them. I've recorded the events of my childhood in my journals and have seen that dysfunction with the perspective of an adult who is also a loving responsible parent.

I've made a lot of changes, some drastic and dramatic, like going No Contact with my mother. That is since November, so... about five months now.

I think I have been changing for the better but sometimes that is hard to see because this process is emotional, stressful, and sometimes depressing. But, the good news is, that I think all this is working in some BIG ways.

Yesterday I noticed that something that would normally trigger my issues just didn't. The kind of thing that would have me second guessing myself all day and/or coming up with upsetting scenarios to stew over... instead, without even trying, I just felt more confident and I felt I had some kind of barrier up (I think we call those Boundaries *wink*) that protected me from taking things to heart.

It was kind of weird. Because I have always been a sensitive person that takes things to heart. I think that being sympathetic and empathetic are positive traits but without strong boundaries I was too easily buffeted by the feelings of other people, which isn't good if they are feeling something mean and selfish and jerky.

As a child I had to raise myself while also catering to the immature emotional needs of a mentally disordered single mother. I became uber-responsible. I was responsible for my own welfare, but I don't really mean that. I mean that I couldn't really make the mistakes that normal kids could. I had to be hyper-aware of my mother's emotional state and so figure out what she needed and wanted from me. That hyper-awareness is hard-wired into my brain now, literally (I've read medical studies about this phenomenon.)

As you might imagine, being hyper-aware, sensitive, sympathetic, empathetic, and uber-responsible makes my social interactions more stressful than they have to be.

But, back to the good news, yesterday I realized things have changed (are changing.) I was able to let go of feeling so responsible. I was journaling about various people in my life and when I got to writing about a certain person who is competitive with me in a not very friendly way I realized that my feelings had changed. I felt kind of sorry for the person, rather than attacked. I (I think) realized the extent of my responsibilities in the relationship and that I don't have the power to make things better. As a child, of course, my only hope was that I could make things better. I thought if I behaved just the right way my mother would act like a mother is supposed to.

But she has her own demons and so do other people. And I am finally letting go of the idea that I can exorcise them with my brilliant behavior.

Wow, this post is so much longer than I thought it would be. Really, I was only planning for like two or three paragraphs. But writing this has been helpful to me. I'm a writer and putting things into words make them more real for me.

Those of you who managed to read to the end, I hope this post offers some... uh, hope that you really can recover from the damages of your childhood. And those of you who had a healthy happy childhood, hopefully, this was at least morbidly interesting. *wink*

8 comments:

  1. Good for you! You deserve to be happy. I think the best part of making progress is realizing (at least for me) is that I can be and continue to strive to be 100 times a better parent than my parents were to me....and you're little one won't grow up to have the same baggage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to grow up to be like you! ;-)
    I am dealing with a LOT of our
    family "issues" right now..as we all
    clean out my Grandmother's house, and everything gets dealt with.
    I am wishing I lived further away from them all. Oi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you've been able to make changes. It's hard! (At least it is for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alycia - Totally. Being a good parent is number one. Of course, there are lot of different ways to do that.

    Kate - Hee hee. You're cute!
    But I am sorry to hear that you are having to deal with family issues on top of cleaning out your Grandmothers house. I sending you a strong vibe.

    Shaun - It is hard. But I am finally feeling the results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give yourself a big pat on the back! Your awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too continue to work on some hard family dynamics. After a lot of "recovery" work over the years, I'm finding so much peace and increased life pleasure from NOT connecting with a sibling of mine. There is pain for me in the choice, (my own self judgement, her pain, and others judgement of me)and yet I still choose it over the confusion, upset and unpredictability, etc., etc., of staying in it.
    You have my kinship in self care,
    P-

    ReplyDelete
  7. One year later and I'm stumbling upon your post. I think I fall into a category somewhere between needing hope and finding your post morbidly interesting. :-)

    I think your progress is exciting...it makes me all the more aware that I haven't done the work I need to do to sweep out the dark corners and cobwebs from childhood. My recovery would be from a less damaging experience, but I still seem to shy away from facing painful truths.

    I admire your strength! Are you ready to do an annual update?

    ReplyDelete